Women’s Christian College was founded on 7th July 1915 as a joint venture of 12 missionary societies from the UK, USA and Canada, under the able leadership of the first Principal, Dr. Miss Eleanor McDougall,with 41 students and 7 faculty in Hyde Park, a rented premises in Kilpauk. Declared a first grade college in 1916, WCC purchased the imposing Doveton House built circa 1798 and set within 11 acres of slyvan surroumdings along the banks of the River Cooum in Nungambakkam, using a gift of $25,000, generously donated by the Women’s American Baptist Fellowship Missionary Society from the legacy of Mrs. Laura Spelman Rockefeller. The College shifted to its new home on College Road on 5 July 1916 and as the number of students grew, bought up 2 adjacent parcels of land and buildings bringing up the total acreage to 20.
The Mission Statement of the College “To provide a complete, meaningful and relevant education to women so that they are intellectually well-trained, morally upright, socially aware and spiritually inspired” continues to remain relevant in the current context.Within the first week of its inception, the maxim“Lighted to Lighten” was adopted as the College Motto and the sunflower as the C ollege Flower; the College Crest was designed and the College Song, “Alma mater” was set to the tune of Finlandia composed by Sibelius.
From the early years, the college has had ties with similar institutions both in India and abroad. Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts, USA, adopted WCC as its ‘Asian Sister’ and from time to time sent us books and gifts. As a gesture of gratitude WCC has named one of its resident halls after this patron.
In 1937, a daughter institution, St. Christopher’s Training College for training graduates in teaching was established and nurtured on campus till they moved to their own premises.