Career Guidance Cell
Email ID : email@example.com
The Career Guidance cell which was established in the year 1998 serves as a vital link between the students of the college and the potential employers of Industry. It focuses on widening the job prospects for those students who want to launch themselves in a career and to sharpen the knowledge about the courses available for those who want to pursue higher studies. Six members of the faculty along with the student representatives from all departments, coordinate the various activities of the cell.
- Ms. Zarina A, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology
- Ms. Shajini Judith Diana J , Assistant Professor, Department of Home Science
- Dr. Hannah Rubens, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics
- Ms. Kanchana Naidu Assistant Professor, Department of Commerce
- Ms. Vanitha N, Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science
- Dr. Alison Christina Fernandez, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics
The committee meets weekly once and details of all the programmes that have come up in the previous week are discussed and the information is passed on to the students through CGC student representatives.
Activities of the cell
- To gather and disseminate information on job avenues and placement in different institutions and concerns related to the courses that the college offers to interested students.
- Organize seminars and guidance workshops by experts from the industry and institutions on
- Soft skills
- Emerging professional trends and events, job profiles, leadership roles, entrepreneurship and career opportunities in different fields of study.
- Creating awareness about the opportunities to pursue higher studies in India and abroad.
- Facilitating the actual recruitment procedure.
- Maintaining record of all the activities and the outcome of each of them.
- Preparing the database of the graduating students giving details about their educational qualification, career choices etc.,
Presentations and Workshops Organized
- AISEC , the world’s largest youth-run organization focusing on providing a platform for youth leadership development, and opportunity to participate in international internships gave a presentation on 21/07/2011. Student representatives from all the departments of the aided sections attended the presentation.
- Pre-placement talk by a representative from Teach for India on 17/08/11 – Teach for India is a nationwide movement of outstanding college graduates who teach full-time in low-income schools for two years, and are transformed to become life-long leaders. 75 students from both Aided and Self-financed streams attended the presentation. Details about the organization, nature of work, companies and institutions that support the program and the selection process were disseminated during the presentation. Recruitment for the current batch will be held in June/July 2012. One student from the passed out batch was selected in the recruitment held in August 2011.
- A Presentation on “Empowering women to become entrepreneurs” was organized on 18/08/2011. Student representatives from all the departments of the aided sections attended the presentation.
- A presentation by Frankfinn on Careers in ‘Aviation & Hospitality’ was organized on 6 th September, 2011. Around 80 students benefitted from this program.
- The Program Coordinator of Swinsifosys, School of Medical Transcription spoke about “Career in Medical Transcription” to create awareness about this upcoming field on 22 nd November, 2011. 71 students from the Life science departments benefited from this seminar.
- A presentation on ‘Careers in Clinical research’ by ICRI(Institute of Clinical Research in India) was organized on 12/12/2011 for the final year UG and PG students of Life science courses. 82 students participated in the presentation. Dr. Anand from Frontier Lifeline was called as the resource person for the presentation.
- Recruitment Training workshop “EVOLVE” was organized by Cognizant Technology solutions for the final year BC.A, B.Sc. (CST) & B.Sc. computer Science students on 16 th November, 2011 to sensitize students on employability skills and essential corporate skills.
- A workshop on “Personality Development, Resume Writing and Interview Skills” was organized by Paradigm Shift for students who are academically good but with financial constraints on 19/12/2011 and 5/12/2012. This program was funded by UGC. Five students from each of the aided departments benefitted from this program.
- “Creative Talent Search”, a program to provide Free Education in various Digital Media segments for creatively talented college students was conducted by IMAGE INFOTAINMENT LTD, India’s premier Digital Media Company. As part of this, students from the departments of B.Sc Computer Science, B.C.A, B.Sc. (CST), M.Sc(IT), M.Sc (CST) and B.Sc Visual Communication took up the creative aptitude test on 30 th September, 2010 . Around ten students have availed scholarships to pursue multimedia courses in their institute based on their performance in the test.
- A meeting was organized by University Students Advisory Bureau (USAB) of the University of Madras & HCL for the placement officers of all Government and affiliated colleges at University campus. The purpose of the meeting was to give an overview about HCL and about their On the Job training model for the current final year students. Dr. Annette Beatrice and Ms. Linet were the staff representatives from our college.
- Training and Placement Heads Conclave on “Recruitment Trends and Preparing Students for Employability” was organized by ICT Academy of Tamil Nadu on 28/09/2011 at Hotel Raintree, Chennai. Ms. Shoba Leslie and Ms. Abitha R. attended and had the privilege of interacting with the HR- Heads of some of the top IT companies in India. The focus of this meet was to highlight the change in the recruitment patterns in the industry and preparing students for employability.
- Ms. Shoba Leslie and Ms. Abitha R. attended a seminar “Retail Connect 2012 – Developing placement opportunities through Academy – Industry Partnership” organized by Pearl Academy of fashion on 11/02/2012 at Aruna Hotel, Chennai
Help desks organized in Campus:
- Study Overseas education consultants, one of the largest education consultants in India representing over 150 education institutions globally offered free counseling to students aspiring to study in the United Kingdom, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand, Dubai, US and Ireland had their help desk placed on campus on 16 th March, 2011
- STORM a Global Education Consulting Group. an overseas education advising group, helps students in planning for their higher Studies. We help students in various aspects such as University/College Selection, Application and Visa process organize Information (Seminars) sessions in leading Education institutions to help students to know the process of University selection, application procedures and Visa counseling. We guide them how to give a quick start for their higher studies in abroad on 19/10/2011
- IDP Education India Pvt. Ltd., Co-owner of IELTS and consultant for overseas education organized a help desk on 9 th December, 2011. Students interested in pursuing their higher studies abroad benefitted from them
List of few companies that visited our campus for recruitment drive since 2002
- ALLSEC Technologies Ltd.
- Career Forum Scale speak
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Crystal Communications
- Customer Pvt. Ltd
- Element – K
- E-Server for CITI Group
- Fitness One center
- Future Focus Infotech Pvt.Ltd
- GE Capital International Services
- Global Services
- Golden Opportunities Pvt.Ltd
- Hewlett Packard
- Infosys Technologies Limited
- ITC Limited
- KANBAY Hyderabad
- Kumaran Systems
- Mahindra Satyam & Tech mahindra
- Office Tigers
- Oriental Cuisine
- Perot Systems
- Rajarajeshwari hotels
- Saaraa Medical Solutions ,
- Scope International
- SI systems
- Sree Career Solutions
- Taj Group of Companies
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Tecruit Consultants
- Wipro Technologies
- Zifo Technologies